- 1 Morkie is a Tiny Puppy that is also known as Morkshire Terrier.
- 2 Is Morkie a good family dog?
- 2.0.1 How much costly a Morkie is?
- 2.0.2 Things before you make up your mind for buying a morkie
- 2.0.3 Related Posts:
Morkie is a Tiny Puppy that is also known as Morkshire Terrier.
It is very fluffy and cute that you can’t get your hands off him, but it’s also very stubborn, which mean you have to be patient with this breed of dogs.
Morkie is a dog that requires more attention and will want you to play with him, as he is very playful.
If you are planning to buy this one, then you have to be careful and have to take good care of this puppy, as it tends to inherit some health issues from pedigree forebear.
This type of puppy is confident and fearless which often put them into troubles they do not know how tiny and fragile they are.
So you have been careful around them so never leave them alone.
Morkie is going to be with you and will accompany you wherever you go because of its attention seeking nature.
It is a watchful dog that is very alert and going to warn you whenever anyone comes to your house.
Since they need all of the cares, it’s better than an adult owns this puppy does all these things as a kid will not be able to take care of the puppy in a good manner.
Is Morkie a good family dog?
It’s a puppy that’s very cute and sweet and is an ideal family dog.
He is going to play with you all day long, going to sit on your lap and will love you and would want your attention all the time.
But morkie temperament is a bit aggressive and barks most of the time when they want you or want you to be alert about someone is coming.
But they love kids and cats and are never going to harm to your children because of its loveable nature.
They eat a lot so make sure you are not fooled by the small body it has.
Also, they get sick very easily as they are small and fragile so keep them covered in winters,
so they do not get sick.
Taking him to a vet for different vaccines can cause a bit problem for you as it will get aggressive and bark to show their discomfort.
So it would be better if you train them as soon as possible to deal with its aggressive nature.
It does not shed much hair because they have fur and not hair, but it still does not mean that morkie is hypoallergenic,
It can cause allergy to people who are severely allergic, while others can still tolerate it so before you think of buying market is important that you consider this fact
What health problems do Morkies have?
Morkie is the combination of two breeds,i.e. Maltese and Yorkshire Terrier,
therefore it inherits its health problems from both the breeds.
There are prone to many health problems some of them are collapsed
- Reverse sneezing
- Tracheal collapse
- Medical patellar luxation
- Valvular heart diseases
- Kidney failure
and many more so you have to be very careful with them.
You have to be on your toes when it comes to morkie’s health because it gets sick often as compared to other breeds.
Therefore, when he is ill, you have to keep your kids away from morkie, so they do not catch sickness for it.
But if you want to avoid the sickness part, then you have to keep him in good shape by making him exercise regularly for at least 30 minutes.
Giving him healthy food and in case of any illness taking him to the vet as soon as possible for early treatment.
Also, they must be properly groomed by getting their haircuts done after every 6 to 10 weeks.
Because they don’t shed much hair and require proper haircut so that their hair doesn’t get knots.
And also the area around the eyes should be kept clean to avoid debris buildup, and his teeth should also be brushed to keep his teeth free from all types of cavities.
So they might be small in size but requires a lot of care.
How much costly a Morkie is?
Since it, a high maintenance puppy, cute, low shedding and is a hybrid breed puppy, so that why it’s very costly.
It can cost you in between $850 to $3700 because of its never-ending demand he is the most popular pet among people.
Also, there are going to other costs when you buy this puppy like vaccination cost, food cost, insurance, checkup cost, training cost, grooming cost, and license cost.
All this will further increase the digits, but the cost doesn’t matter if you know that you will have a friend for life who is going to be with you all the time.
But before you decide on buying this puppy, you should buy them from a reputable owner and get it properly checked by the vet.
Also if you have made the decision then you have to make up your mind about the training it requires, it going to need you all the time, you will have to take extra care of morkie in the winter season.
And they need to socialize so make sure you take them out often with you.
Also, there are many sites where people are selling Morkie on sale so you can visit those sites and can get it at a bit low price.
Things before you make up your mind for buying a morkie
- Morkie’s have a life span of 10-13 years, which is a long life as compared to other breed and this also means a long term commitment of taking care of the dog, and you have to fulfill that commitment otherwise you should opt for a morkie.
- Morkie barks a lot like all the time, which is going to bother you the most because this barking makes him happy so if you have kids with you who sleep early at night or takes naps, then you will have to make them used to of this noise.
- They want food all the damn time, and that is going to be the biggest problem for you as you have to spend a lot of money on food and also the food that doesn’t make him obese and instead make him fir and healthy.
- Since it is very small, so you have to around him all the time or keep an eye on him, so he does not hurt himself or any kids does not hurt him while playing with him.
- They are really small and normally weighs 8 pounds, which makes them extremely fragile, so you have to be extra careful. If you want to buy Because they can easily hurt themselves by the smallest things, or even you can hurt them with a tiny mistake so if you really want a Morkie then you have to be extra careful.
Is Morkie easy to potty train?
Have you ever potty trained a child?
If not then let me tell you it’s damn hard to potty train a child, as there will lot of accidents and shouting but after sometimes when he will start giving you sign it will get easier.
If you know how to potty train a child then you already know the answer to this question.
Actually, this breed is very playful and energetic and sometimes aggressive and this a deadly combination when it comes to potty training.
It takes a lot of your energy to potty train a puppy but once it’s done then you will be the happiest person on earth, and when he is all grown up it will become easier for you.
Steps involved in potty training a Morkie
- Since it is a small puppy and therefore, has a small bladder so make sure, you take him at regular intervals, as they cannot hold it now.
- Also trying talking to him about this and say words so that he can understand that what is going for now like whenever you take him to say potty time so that he can get a better understanding. During that time do not play with him, stay there quietly waiting for the puppy to do it.
- Once he does it, try to appreciate that through lots of praising so that he can understand that he has done a good job.
- When you are out with the puppy, restrict him to a small area or crate him to reduce the chances of accidents. Make it easy for you to clean the mess afterward.
- Set an eating routine for your puppy, by giving him food at the same time every day. This will set his potty routine and then you will have to take him out on his potty timings.
- Sometimes your puppy is going to leak urine out of excitement or nervousness and that normal, and you cannot help it. But he will outgrow this thing once he is 6 months old, so you do not have to punish him for that.
Follow all these steps and be patient and he will be potty trained in no time.
Pros and Cons of having Morkie:
Now that we know that morkie is a mixed breed.
Therefore, contains the characteristics of both the Yorkie and Maltese and the combination may not be 50:50 every time so its temperament and its looks will depend on that too.
- Morkies are smart, active and very friendly with animals.
- They are cute little puppies and have fluffy hair.
- It can be carried in your bag and are very playful.
- They have a long life
- It sheds low hair as compared to other dogs.
- They can live in a small space.
- They are always loyal to their owners and love them unconditionally.
- They bark most of the time that is very annoying.
- These are very fragile due to their small weight.
- Morkie needs proper grooming due to the low shedding.
- They need you and your attention all the time.
- These have an aggressive nature.
- Morkies are prone to cold weather.
- They eat a lot of food.
If you want a morkie then it is very important that you train him as soon as possible to overcome all his bad habits like barking and not leaving you alone.
It’s easy to train a morkie as it is an intelligent puppy, but you have to be patient and give him some time to understand your instructions.
Since they are already very energetic, so exercise for 30 minutes would also do.
You can teach him commands like sit stand quite down etc.
Make sure that you train him in a fun environment and avoid being harsh as it would do more harm than good.
Try appreciating him when he does well.
Another concern related to morkie is its health, as they are more prone to health issues.
If you want to avoid health expenses then make sure you buy morkie from a breeder that is reputed and provides you full health history.
It avoid going to puppy mills or shops which don’t provide full health history.
Also, it’s important to take morkie for its timely vaccinations and regular checkup.
This dog requires more food than its size, so you need to have a lot of food for you all time hungry puppy.
But make sure they eat healthy food and keep the weight in check to avoid obesity as it can lead to heart diseases and bone joints.
It’s up to you if you want to store feed or feed him home cooked food both are healthy.
If you want to cook at home then there are many meals that you can cook like
- Boiled eggs
- Carrots that are slightly cooked
- Cooked meat
- Boiled potatoes
- boiled pumpkin
even you can give him fruits like
In short, a puppy is going to love you with all his heart to make sure you do the same.